Saturday, June 24, 2006

Introducing the Sacring Bell

This type of bell has been rung during Mass in the Catholic Church for over 800 years. They are referred to by a variety of names including, Sacring bell, Sanctus bell, Altar bell, Saint's bell, Mass bell, Sance bell, Saunce bell, and Squilla bell.
I wanted a new set of these bells for my collection to provide another practical use of bells and who better to make them than one of the great founders of the world.?
I discussed the design with Steve McEwan, the foreman of the small bells team at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. I wanted a set that would be easy to display on a solid base.
A few weeks later the call came to say the bells were ready.
What follows describes the day I collected what is for me one of the most delightful bells in my collection.

No comments: